Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sylamore 50K - 2014

I'm just catching up on some of these races because I did not write a blog entry for them and now it is June and I'm six months behind.

The main reason for this is that due to the continuing Piriformis injury, there is not much to write about.  I go to each race, I start off slow, start to hurt and only get slower.

What made this race unique this year was the terrible running conditions.  This was was than the year of the snow storm that came in the night before.  The weather leading to this race had been relatively precipitation free for sometime and so my thinking is that there would be good conditions for race day.

As it turns out, the cold temperatures had remained since the last snowfall and that had left very icy conditions.  Within the very first mile I had already fell very hard.  Got back up, ran ten more steps and fell again.

Across the river and only 3 miles later, I took my hardest fall on some really bad ice.  The irony is that I was really walking very carefully because of the ice and fell anyway.

I worked hard to catch back up to the leaders but then as the race went on after about mile 7, I could no longer keep up as the Piriformis had slowed me down and I was resigned as it has been for the last couple of years to just trying to finish the race which I did in a painful five hours or so.

I'd like to say that it was a fun race but the pain in the butt is making it harder and harder to say this.  But I am committed to getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment