Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 to 2012 - Looking Back and Looking Forward

The new year is here and reflecting on my running this past year I have to say that with the lone exception of Leadville, I had a really great year.

I stayed healthy and at times ran very well.  I turned 40 but still feel like I'm 20.  Except that I have no flexibility but my stamina and endurance and energy is just what it was then. 

I had two DNF's - the first was at the Grasslands.  I dropped at mile 30 of a 50 mile race and I have no regrets about that one.  It was hot and miserable out there and to finish would have meant unnecessary suffering.  The DNF at Leadville was just stupid and I am sure I will make up for it in 2012.

Speaking of 2012, I am ready for another really great year.  It has been three years since my last 100 mile finish and I am really craving another buckle so my goal is to get two of them this year and one of those will be at the Arkansas Traveler in October.  There is nothing quite like finishing a 100 mile race and after three years, I really need to feel that moment again.  Plus there is no greater 100 mile run than the Arkansas Traveler.  I did not attend last year and really regretted not going.  It was as if there was a family reunion and I stayed home.

Now that I am forty, I hope to be competitive at the regional level in the Master's Division in some races, especially the marathons where I seem to do better.  The big race will be at Little Rock Marathon where there is a modest $500 for the first Master's finishers.  I will have to run my best to win that but it will be fun trying.

2011 may best be remembered for fulfilling a long time dream.  What better way to commemmorate my 40th birthday than to run 40 plus miles in the Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim.  That run will always be remembered.  I am going to have to do it again sometime in the winter.

So here's to 2011 and looking forward to 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment